In the article published on April 20, 2020, by bloomberg.com during the COVID-19 pandemic titled Americans Are Poisoning Themselves in Their Rush to Fight Virus, the author writes:
“Calls to poison centers increased sharply at the beginning of March 2020 for exposures to both cleaners and disinfectants,” according to the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. While the increase affected all age groups, children 5 and under were disproportionately impacted.
In another case, a preschool-age child swallowed an unknown amount of ethanol-based hand sanitizer. She got dizzy, fell and hit her head, and then vomited on the way to the ER. Her blood-alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit for driving in most states. She recovered after two days in the hospital.
One adult woman described in the report developed breathing difficulties and wheezing after filling her sink with 10% bleach solution, vinegar, and hot water to soak her produce. That led to a noxious odor and then an ambulance ride to the emergency room to get oxygen and broncho-dilators. The woman improved after a few hours." (4)
The Sad Reality
The American Cancer Society estimates that 90-95% of all cancers are environmental and preventable. That means you can do something about it...TODAY!!
Removing toxins from your home doesn’t just protect you and your family, it preserves the generations who will come after you.
The average person applies 300 harsh chemicals to their body every single day, and 80 of those harsh chemicals before breakfast! Most from four things - soap, makeup, shampoo, and hair care. The biggest pollutants in our home are fabric softener, dryer sheets, air freshener plug-ins, and candles. You are literally poisoning your family every day with the stuff that you can't pronounce in your home, like your bright blue dish soap, the cleaner you use for your kitchen counter, processed food, and more. Health and safety data only exists for 15% of all the harsh chemicals out there, even though so many are known to cause asthma or endocrine disruptions.
There are over 185,000 known harsh chemicals actively used in products in the United States today. The average person puts 300 chemicals a day on their skin through 4 things: soap, shampoo, makeup, and hair are. 80 of those chemicals are used before breakfast. The FDA says to date, less than 15% of all chemicals in the U.S. have been thoroughly studied for their side effects. Common side effects of chemical uses: endocrine disruptors, which make you gain weight, skin issues, asthma, and even cancer. There is a better way to get the points on out of your home. It comes down to making smarter decisions.
In an article published by The Guardian in 2019, "research published this year found that one in three adults claim to have experienced health problems caused by fragranced products, whether perfumes, cosmetics, laundry detergents or soap. The study found that fragrance sensitivity caused migraines, watery eyes and respiratory issues. A lead researched and professor at the University of Melbourne, characterized fragrance sensitivity as a healthcare epidemic of which we don't yet know the scale." (1)
The Hidden Toxins in Air Fresheners & Scented Candles
Synthetic fragrances may be the most common type of harsh-chemical in your home.
Air fresheners, plug-in type deodorizers, and scented candles can emit hundreds of harmful chemicals known to be carcinogens, respiratory and endocrine disruptors, and reproductive toxicants, even at low levels.
In 2014, Scientific American Reported that a study in the journal, Environmental Health Perspectives, shows a strong link between exposure to phthalates (chemicals that are found in air fresheners and often plastics) during pregnancy and the child’s future risk of asthma. Continue reading below for alternatives...
The Hidden Toxins in Household Cleaning Products
Regular use of cleaning sprays can have as much of an impact on health as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, according to a study by scientists at Norway's University of Bergen, published in the American Thoracic Society's American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.(a)
The "Dirty Dozen" to Avoid:
1. BHA and BHT is an Endocrine disruptor and carcinogen and is used mainly in cosmetics as preservatives.
2. Coal tar dyes are carcinogens and have a heavy metal toxicity; they are commonly found in processed foods, lipstick, hair dyes.
3. DEA or Diethanolamine-related ingredients are also carcinogens; they are found in creamy or foaming products, such as moisturizers and shampoos.
4. Dibutyl phthalates are Endocrine disruptors, as well as a reproductive toxicant; they are commonly used in nail care products.
5. Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives are a carcinogen; they are used in a variety of cosmetics as preservatives.
6. Parabens are Endocrine disruptors and they may interfere with male reproduction; they are used in cosmetics as preservatives.
7. Parfum/Fragrance are carcinogens, and can cause neurotoxicity, allergies and skin sensitivities; they are used in variety of cosmetics to add aroma. Companies do not have to disclose the ingredients due to “trade secret”.
Young Living essential oils are NOT fragrances.
8. PEG compounds: can be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane which may be a carcinogen; this ingredient is commonly used as the base for cosmetic creams.
9. Petrolatum is also carcinogen; it is used in hair products for shine, and as the moisture barrier in lip balms/sticks.
10. Siloxanes are also Endocrine disruptors, as well as a reproductive toxicant; they are used in cosmetics to soften, smooth & moisten.
11. Sodium laureth sulfates are carcinogens; they are used in foaming cosmetics, shampoos, cleansers, and bubble bath.
12. Triclosan is also an Endocrine disruptor, and can cause antibiotic resistance; found in toothpastes, cleansers, and antiperspirants.
+ a few more to add to the list:
13. Aluminum. Aluminum is found in anti-perspirants, gets absorbed into the body, and is able to cross the blood-brain barrier.
14. Sodium Fluoride - found in toothpastes, a known neurotoxin.(2)
15. FD&C Blue Dye #1 & 2 - found in toothpastes, (and foods). Causes hypersensitivity, and is a known carcinogen.(3)
By reading labels and seeking fragrance-free products derived from natural sources, you can help protect your family from these toxic harsh chemicals.
Making the switch to health-promoting products is easy...
It’s simple and inexpensive to replace virtually every toxic product in your home with a clean switch from the Young Living product lines!
Diffusing essential oils provides a safe and effective method for purifying and scenting the air in your home as a fantastic alternative to harmful air fresheners, candles, and plug-ins.
Savvy Minerals makeup is a no-brainer switch for those of us who wear makeup!
Savvy Minerals Makeup - The NEW Standard in Clean Beauty™
Young Living is leading the clean beauty revolution by not only banning the mainstream questionable ingredients, but also taking a deeper look at what you should really be putting on your skin to nourish it. This means that Young Living has banned even more ingredients than the 1,328 prohibited by the European Union. Young Living has banned more than 2,500 ingredients and even some "natural ingredients" other clean makeup companies use.
Savvy Minerals makeup is:
- Responsibly Sourced
- Plant Based
- Toxin Free
- Essential Oil Infused
You'll never find these ingredients in Savvy Minerals makeup:
- Coal tar
- Lake dye
- Mineral oil
- Nano particles
- Petroleum-based ingredients
- Synthetic colorants
- Synthetic fragrances
- Synthetic preservatives
Thieves Fruit & Veggie Spray or Fruit & Veggie Soak
Utilizes naturally derived ingredients and the cleaning power of Thieves essential oil blend to effectively wash produce at home or on the go.
Thieves Fruit and Veggie spray is great for single-use servings or when you are away from home. The convenient 2-oz spray bottle bits it a purse, backpack, or carry-on, making it easily accessible. With just a few spritzes, you can quickly and efficiently clean fruit and vegetables no matter where you are.
Thieves fruit and veggie soak is a perfect choice when cleaning larger amounts of produce. With the help of DiGize, Purification, and Thieves essential oil blends, you can prepare produce from a wonderful meal or healthy snack.
Thieves Household Cleaner
Is a powerful, all-purpose, concentrated cleaner formulated with 100% plant and mineral based ingredients. Thieves household cleaner is biodegradable and complies with EPA standards
Thieves Cleaner Dilution Chart
1:60 (1 capful cleaner to 3.75 cups water)
1:30 (1 capful cleaner to less than 2 cups water)
1:15 (1 capful cleaner to less than 1 cup water)
1:100 (1/2 capful cleaner to 3+ cups water)
1:100 (a capful cleaner to 6.25 cups water)
Fabrics, Carpet Spotting, etc.
1:40 (1 capful cleaner to 2 cups water)
1:320 (1 capful cleaner to 5 quarts water)
Sink, Tub, Tile Cleaner
1 capful cleaner to 1 cup Baking Soda (mix well)
Thieves Cleaner Recipes
Glass + Mirror Cleaner
- 1 cap cleaner
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5 drops Lemon essential oil
Hardwood Floor Cleaner
- 1/3 cup cleaner
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 gallon water
- 5 drops Purification essential oil or Pine essential oil
Tub + Tile Scrub
- 2 caps cleaner
- 1/3 cup Thieves Dishwasher Detergent
- 5 drops Thieves essential oil
- 1/3 cup cleaner
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup liquid Castile soap or Thieves Dish Soap
- 5 drops Lemon essential oil
Thieves Laundry Soap
With a plant-based formula, Thieves laundry soap gently and naturally washes your clothes, cleaning them without any chemical or synthetic residue. Natural enzymes and powerful essential oils add to the formula’s strength to leave your clothes fresh and clean with a light citrus scent.
Add 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil combination and re-use for up to 2-3 loads of laundry before needing to reapply oils -- for a fresh, static-free experience that can also actually speed up your drying time!
Thieves Whitening Toothpaste
Thieves Whitening Toothpaste is clinically proven to clean and whiten teeth, using the Thieves essential oil blend without fluoride and synthetic dyes.
Thieves Foaming Hand Soap
Blends Thieves, lemon, and orange essential oils with other natural ingredients. It is a gentle and effective alternative to antibacterial soaps laden with toxins.
Thieves Hand Sanitizer
Waterless and convenient hand sanitizer that is clinically proven to kill 99.9% of germs!
You can't control all of the toxins you'll be exposed to. But you can draw a line in the sand and say "no more" when it comes to what is found within the walls of your home. Make a better choice today. Make the switch to oils. Oils for your deodorant instead of deodorant with aluminum. Oils in your toothpaste instead of toothpaste with fluoride. Switch out your glass cleaner and multi-surface cleaner with Thieves cleaner. Use Thieves laundry soap to get rid of your laundry soap with sodium laurel sulfate in it - known to cause cancer. There is a better way. Start with 1 small step at a time; one small swap each month. A chemical free home is a safer home.
(1) - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/sep/15/fragrance-sensitivity-why-perfumed-products-can-cause-profound-health-problems
(2) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491930/
(3) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23026007
(4) - Bloomberg. 4/20/2020. Langreth, R. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-20/coronavirus-cleaning-goes-haywire-with-grim-surge-in-poisonings
(5) - https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/us-lockdowns-coincide-rise-poisonings-cleaners-70245997